Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pint Sized Wisdom


Let me set the scene for you...

EXT. SIDEWALK - EVENING

A sprawling cookie-cutter condo community where every last detail down to the height of the hedges has been planned out.

O’Neill trudges up the hill Crackberry in one hand and iPod in the other. The overly-exhausted look on her face says it all… it’s been beyond a long day.

INNER O’NEILL

Okay. If I can manage to chuck my stuff as soon as I walk in the door then maybe I can make it to Rite Aide in time… No. Wait. Shit. They close in 15… I’ll do it tomorrow… No. Can’t do that. I’m supposed to…


Pip-Squeak (V.O.)

O’Neill!


Jarred out of the confines of her own thoughts, O’Neill glances up to see Pip-Squeak bouncing towards her. A pig-tail clad kindergartner decked out in a Cinderella costume, she’s the definition of cuteness.


O’NEILL

Hey there.


PIP-SQUEAK

Where’ve you been?


O’NEILL

Work.


PIP-SQUEAK

You’re always working.


INNER O’NEILL

Wow. I think you just might be channeling my mother.


PIP-SQUEAK

Wanna play princess?


O’NEILL

Sorry Kiddo, not tonight.


PIP-SQUEAK

Why?


INNER O’NEILL

Because I’ve been going non-stop since 6 am, have nothing but caffeine and Oreos in my system, and if I don’t tackle my mountain of dirty clothes I will be going naked to work tomorrow.


O’NEILL

Just can’t.


PIP-SQUEAK

Why?


O’Neill glances longingly at her front door and then gives Pip-Squeak a quick shrug.


O’NEILL

I’m tired.


PIP-SQUEAK

We’ve got nap time at school. We lay down and then Miss Rachel tells us to be really, really quiet and then Ben cries. He’s afraid of the dark. But I’m not. I’m a big girl.

(pause)

Do you have nap time?


INNER O’NEILL

Call it a hunch but I think people would notice if I tried to pull a George Costanza in my cubicle.


O’NEILL

Afraid not.


PIP-SQUEAK

Really? That sounds boring. When I grow up I’m gonna be a princess. Not a pretend one. A real one. And I’m gonna live in a castle and have horses and tons of dresses and even a big big pond.

(pause)

What are you gonna be when you grow up?


O’Neill ponders this for a moment as a smile crawls across her face.


O'NEILL
Honestly, Kiddo, I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment