Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Me, Myself, and I


Let me set the scene for you…


EXT. WOODS – EARLY MORNING


O’Neill is jogging down a dense wooded path sweaty and slightly out of breath. From the glistening dew in the faint rays of sunlight it’s clear that it’s too early for anyone to be up, yet alone exercising.


INNER O’NEILL

Can we talk?


O’NEILL

Nope. I know what you’re gonna say.


INNER O’NEILL

Well I’m gonna say it anyway. You’re nuts!


O’NEILL

I need to run.


INNER O’NEILL

Run, yes. At 6 am? No.


O’NEILL

When else am I supposed to do it?


INNER O’NEILL

After work?


O’NEILL

Right. Running in the dark… Deep in the woods… Might as well put my face on a milk carton now.


A beat.


O’Neill picks up the pace as the path inclines. She’s hurting but showing no signs of slowing down.


INNER O’NEILL

Ok. That’s it. You’re insane!

(Pause)

Slow down.


O’NEILL

Nope.

(Pause)

I need to blow off some steam.


INNER O’NEILL

Agreed. But why can’t you alleviate your stress with alcohol or take-out like a normal human being?


O’NEILL

Cause I need the exercise.

INNER O’NEILL

That’s why God invented gyms.


A beat.


INNER O’NEILL

Enough already! Can we at least take a break at the Bridge?


O’NEILL
No time.


INNER O’NEILL

Bullshit.


O’NEILL
I need to shower.


INNER O’NEILL
No you don’t.


O’NEILL

Who’s in charge here?


INNER O’NEILL

C’mon. You know you want to. You can relax with the waterfall and the ducks and tiny rapids….


O’NEILL

(annoyed)

No.


INNER O’NEILL

C’mon… PLEEEEEEEEASE!


O’NEILL

(fed-up)

Fine!


Suddenly, O’Neill notices a little old ASAIN WOMAN 20 feet away staring at her… Busted.


O’Neill flashes a friendly, “I’m completely normal even though I was just arguing with myself” smile as the Asian woman walks on by.


A beat.


O’NEILL

Ugh.


INNER O’NEILL

Yup. Totally nuts.

2 comments:

  1. I just dropped by to pay a little visit to one of the Grace the Spot's writers and here I am, newly addicted to yet another blog. Thanks for this great discovery, now I have a lot of catching up to do!

    ReplyDelete